Right now 300 families are fighting to save their homes in DC Chinatown,
and their project-based Section 8 contract is expiring on September 30.
Please take a few minutes to do 2 actions in solidarity with the tenants:
1) Click HERE to send a fax to the landlord Bush Companies this week demanding that they:
- Extend the Section 8 contract,
- Respect the rights of tenants to organize, and
- Offer a fair price to tenants to buy the building as required by DC law.
2) Click HERE to send emails to the DC Council & Mayor requesting that they:
- Pass a permanent amendment to the Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act to require a fair price offer based on current value for tenants to buy their buildings, and
- Commit to submit a Statement of Interest to buy Museum Square through the District Opportunity to Purchase Act for permanent preservation.
If you are in the DC area on September 30th, please join us at the tenants’ rally in front of Museum Square (401 K St NW) on September 30 at 4:30pm with a march through the neighborhood until 6:30pm.
If you are an organization that would like to sign-on to a community letter to DC government in support of the tenants, please sign-on HERE.