The NAHT Board will be meeting on Friday, October 2, 2015 with senior HUD officials including Milan Ozdinec, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Public Housing and Voucher Programs. Ozdinec is the point person at HUD for the Museum Square crisis.
During the meeting, NAHT will push for the the recognition of enhanced vouchers, the Right to Organize and the Right to Remain.
Washington, DC’s Channel 9 report on the Museum Square Rally. Click the link below.
WAMU, the local NPR affiliate in Washington, DC, has put together a helpful “Explainer” that outlines the history and issues surrounding the ongoing battle over Museum Square. The online article can be found at:
Washington Post coverage of yesterday’s Museum Square rally organized by NAHT, CAPACD, APALA and other partners. NAHT’s Board joined the rally and march in support of the Museum Square Tenants Organization, a NAHT member.
Pictured in the photo are tenant leader Jenny Tang and her daughter Jasmine, age 9. Click the link below to read the story.
NAHT’s Rachel Johnson appeared on the Kojo Nnamdi Show on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 with Museum Square tenant Jenny Tang and organizer Sam Jewler. The audio of the program is now available. Click the link below to listen.
Right now 300 families are fighting to save their homes in DC Chinatown,
and their project-based Section 8 contract is expiring on September 30.
Please take a few minutes to do 2 actions in solidarity with the tenants:
1) Click HERE to send a fax to the landlord Bush Companies this week demanding that they:
- Extend the Section 8 contract,
- Respect the rights of tenants to organize, and
- Offer a fair price to tenants to buy the building as required by DC law.
2) Click HERE to send emails to the DC Council & Mayor requesting that they:
- Pass a permanent amendment to the Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act to require a fair price offer based on current value for tenants to buy their buildings, and
- Commit to submit a Statement of Interest to buy Museum Square through the District Opportunity to Purchase Act for permanent preservation.
If you are in the DC area on September 30th, please join us at the tenants’ rally in front of Museum Square (401 K St NW) on September 30 at 4:30pm with a march through the neighborhood until 6:30pm.
If you are an organization that would like to sign-on to a community letter to DC government in support of the tenants, please sign-on HERE.
NAHT Call to Action to Save Museum Square!
Please sign and circulate the on-line petition to help 300 families at Museum Square in DC’s Chinatown save their homes!
Tenants at this year’s NAHT conference organized a support rally with the tenants of Museum Square, which is located in the heart of DC’s Chinatown. Museum Square is 301 units and it represents 50% of the remaining Chinese population and it’s one of the last affordable housing complexes in the area.
Please circulate the on-line petition today, and forward to other groups and networks! Click here for sample Facebook and Twitter postings and a sample email blast to send to your lists!